FATHEAD DOUGH PIZZA CRUST
One of the joys of eating keto/ lowcarb is that you can still have pizza.
Pizza is just such a comfort food. My family loves fat head pizza. It’s super filling and satisfying.
The dough doesn’t contain any white flour, it’s completely grain and gluten free. It also does not need yeast or proving time at all. It’s super quick compared to high carb pizza crust.
I like to roll out the dough thin and then pre bake it till crisp, before adding my toppings. I’ve written a blog post on the basic fat head dough recipe, that I use. If you need some step by step instructions and tips on how to work with this dough head over there.
TIPS ON MAKING FATHEAD DOUGH PIZZA CRUST
For fat head dough, I like to grate my own mozzarella, to reduce the carb count of the recipe, as aeady grated mozzarella is covered in starch to prevent it from sticking together. I mostly use a block of 250g mozzarella and grate it by hand. You can grate larger amounts of mozzarella at once, measure 250g portions and freeze the cheese in freezer bags.
I use organic extra fine almond flour for this recipe. This flour is a lot finer then regular almond flour, it also is defatted. That means some of the almond oil has been removed in the refining process. If you can not find this type of almond flour you can use regular almond flour or blanched ground almonds but your dough might be slightly softer and more difficult to work with. You can add an extra 1/4 cup of almond flour/ground almonds to the recipe, to give stability to the dough.
The dough can be really hot and slightly sticky. To make the dough easier to work with, let the dough rest for a few minutes before kneading it. This allows the cheese to cool down a little and harden a wee bit, resulting in a nice smooth dough that’s not too sticky or too hot.
The dough will stick to your rolling pin if you try roll it out just like that. It’s best to roll it our between two pieces of parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and a piece of parchment paper. This prevents it from sticking to your rolling pin and messing up your work surface.
In the following step by step instructions you can see exactly how I make fathead dough pizza crust
STEP BY STEP
STEP 1. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON MAKING FATHEAD DOUGH, THEN LEAVE DOUGH TO FIRM UP FOR A FEW MINUTES
STEP 2. ROLL OUT THE DOUGH BETWEEN TWO PIECES OF PARCHMENT PAPER, TO PREVENT IT FROM STICKING TO YOUR ROLLING PIN. PICK THE DOUGH A FEW TIMES WITH A FORK
STEP 3. BAKE THE PIZZA CRUST TILL COOKED AND CRISP
STEP 4. SPREAD LOW CARB PIZZA SAUCE ON YOUR PIZZA CRUST
STEP 5. SPRINKLE GRATED CHEESE ON TOP AND ADD TOPPINGS OF YOUR CHOICE, THEN BAKE TILL CHEESE MELTS AND TOPPING HAVE COOKED
HOW TO MAKE KETO FATHEAD DOUGH PIZZA CRUST
FATHEAD DOUGH PIZZ CRUST
- 2 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup extra fine almond flour.
- Pre heat oven at 180°c.
- Melt mozzarella and cream cheese in the microwave.
- Add egg, baking powder and almond flour.
- Use a fork or spoon to mix everything together.
- Wait a few minutes so the cheese can cool down and firm up a bit before you knead the dough.
- Knead until you have a smooth dough.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of baking paper, to prevent it from sticking to your rolling pin.
- You can do any shape you want.
- I love a good sheet pizza but my family prefers traditional round shaped pizza.
- Us a fork to poke some holes into your dough, so that it can cook evenly without bubbling up.
- I would pre bake the dough for about 10-15 minutes, before adding any toppings. This will prevent a soggy pizza.
- You can top your pizza crust with anything you like. On the pictures you can see I topped it with low carb tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and vegetarian salami.
- Once you have added the toppings, place the pizza back into the oven and bake it till cheese melts and toppings have cooked.
I always try to provide the correct nutritional information for each of my recipes. Please note that the nutritional value may vary for you, depending on the use of different brands and ingredients. Please calculate the nutritional value with the ingredients you use at home, to archive accurate nutritional information.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of these links and purchase a product, I may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. I only promote trusted products that I have tested and love myself. Thank you for supporting Vegetarian Keto Kitchen, your support means a lot to me.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you. You can also find me on Instagram and tag me, so I can see your creation.
★LET’S STAY IN TOUCH on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST and INSTAGRAM for more great food and join my NEWSLETTER for the latest updates.★