KETO NUTS, SEEDS AND LEGUMES
Nuts and Seeds are low in carbs and high in fat, including Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids. They also provide protein, vitamins, and minerals such as magnesium and are also rich in fiber which is great for proper bowel function. Nuts and seeds are a great choice for a balanced vegetarian keto diet, as they provide plenty of calories from fat, which keeps us full and satisfied and the low amount of carbs keeps blood sugar levels in steady.
Some seeds like flaxseed, chia seed, and psyllium husk are so high in fiber that they can aid constipation and IBS. But they need to be consumed with large amounts of liquid (water) to keep things smooth and moving.
Chia seeds, flax seeds, and almonds are really low in carbs. Cashew, Peanuts, Pine nuts, and Pistachio are a little higher in carbs and can cause blood sugar to rise a little but they can still be consumed in moderation when following the keto diet. Some seeds like cumin, melon, and mustard seeds seem really high in carbs, but they are mostly used in so little quantity that they will not affect ketosis.
HOW TO ADD SEEDS, NUTS AND LEGUMES TO YOUR DIET
- Roasted and salted nuts and seeds
- Sugarfree candied nuts and seeds
- Nut and Seed butter
- Sprinkled on salad or soups
- Nut and seed flour for baking
- Seed crackers
- Blended in smoothies, soups or sauces
- Homemade keto cereal
- Unsweetened nut and seed milk
- Nut/ Seed dips
- Vegan cheese
- To flavor dishes such as curries and cauliflower rice
LIST OF NUTS/ net carbs per 100g
- Almonds (4.4g net carbs)
- Brazil Nuts (3.1g net carbs)
- Cashew Nuts (18g net carbs)
- Hazelnuts (6g net carbs)
- Macadamia Nuts (5.2g net carbs)
- Pecan Nuts (4.4g net carbs)
- Pine Nuts (4g net carbs)
- Pistachio (17.6g net carbs)
- Walnuts (3.3g net carbs)
LIST OF SEEDS/ net carbs per 100g
- Chia Seeds (2g net carbs)
- Cumin Seeds (33g net carbs)
- Flaxseeds/ Linseeds (1.6 net carbs)
- Sesame Seeds (1g net carbs)
- Sunflower Seeds (11.4g net carbs)
- Poppy Seeds ( 8.6 g net carbs)
- Pumpkin Seeds (2.3g net carbs)
- Mustard Seeds (16g net carbs)
- Melon Seeds (74g net carbs)
- Hemp Seeds (1g net carbs)
- Psyllium Husk (0.1g net carbs)
- Nigella Seeds (12g net carbs)
- Black Sesame (11g net carbs)
- Fennel Seeds (3.9g net carbs)
- Fenugreek (33g net carbs)
- Coriander Seeds (13g net carbs)
- Apricot Kernel (21.6g net carbs)
- Ajwain (4g net carbs)
When we think of legumes, we probably think of baked beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, and other high carb beans. Beans seem to not really fit into the keto diet but there are some lower carb beans that work really well such as the ones listed below.
LIST KETO-FRIENDLY LEGUMES
- SoyBean (15g net carbs)
- Cocoa Bean (9g net carbs)
- Lupin Bean (11.7g net carbs)
- Peanuts (7.6g net carbs)
I always try to provide the correct nutritional information, for the above-listed foods I have taken information from Wikipedia, amazon.co.uk, and the products I have in my fridge and pantry. Please note that the nutritional value may vary for you as the listed products are from natural origin and may vary in protein content. Please check the nutritional value for the products you use at home, to archive accurate nutritional information.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of these links and purchase a product, I may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. I only promote trusted products that I have tested and love myself. Thank you for supporting Vegetarian Keto Kitchen, your support means a lot to me.
Did you enjoy this blog post? Please let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you.
★LET’S STAY IN TOUCH on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST and INSTAGRAM for more great food and join my NEWSLETTER for the latest updates.★